Monday, July 29, 2013

Overcoming Discouragement


As many know, we have had a tough couple year. We have now lived with Michael's parents for almost a full year, and unfortunately there is no end in sight. This is an extremely hard reality to face. We are very thankful for this living option and his parents opening their home to our family, but it is still less than ideal.

There are many days I crave and ache to be just with our family, to not have to wait until we're in private to discuss something with Michael, and to run the house and always do things how I would do them. This is not anyone's fault, it is simply the situation we are in, and it's just plain hard!

Both Michael and I have a lot of days where we feel positive and content with where God has us and then there are days we are just done and want to give up. Thankfully, these are usually at different times and we are able to encourage and uplift each other when needed.

Well the last couple weeks have been very emotionally difficult, and I'm sure my pregnancy hormones effects some of it (at least how much I cry). Michael's been denied more jobs we were hopeful for him to get that would provide enough for us to live on our own. Each denial gets harder and harder to accept, and I often have feelings of hopelessness of ever being on our own again.

As I was crying to Michael about a week ago about all of these difficult emotions I'm dealing with he gave me some really great advice, which has made this week more bearable. I explained to him that I'm struggling with my thoughts. I'll be OK one minute, and then the next minute I have a thought of "I want to move out so bad." or "I wan more time with just our family." "Why won't God provide a job for Michael that pays enough for us to move out?"

He encouraged me to memorize a verse that we have reminded each other of several times this past year. Philippians 4:8, "And now, dear brother and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise." Then, repeat the verse in my head when negative, not helpful, discouraging thoughts pop into my head.

I have been doing this and what a positive difference it has made! I still have lots of random thoughts and some days are better than others, but this new plan of how to handle the emotions actually seems possible. One thought at a time.

I have also accepted that it is OK to have bad days. It's OK to cry sometimes, and it's OK for us to have a deep desire to live on our own. However, that doesn't mean we need to dwell on the fact that we don't all day long. That isn't going to benefit anyone.

If you're struggling with your thoughts over a certain struggle I would encourage you to memorize this verse or another verse that uplifts and encourages you to spend more time dwelling on Him. After all, I truly believe and trust that His plan is perfect and His timing is not an accident. 

No comments:

Post a Comment